Saturday, May 25, 2013

Baked Cotton Balls (rocks)

I saw this post on Pinterest and I had to try it. Not only was my art class exploring rocks but I thought it would be fun to try with my 7 year old son.

First you mix 1 cup of water with 1 cup of flour then divid the mixture into separate bowls and add food coloring. Then take cotton balls and coat them with the mixture and place on a baking sheet(I used parchment paper to make for easy removal). Then bake for 45-60 minutes on 300. I did 53 minutes next time I'll do 45 since mine had some burn marks. The site says you can create letters with the balls, you can pull them a part with your hands, or use a hammer. I tried it, and my results are...great!

The kids in my art class (mostly 2 year olds) loved them, and so did my son. They liked the smooth and light feel of them. When I showed them how to break them open with their hands they went right to it. They were building muscles in their hands cause they aren't easy to open.

I stored my rocks in a ziplock bag but I forgot a few and after a couple of days my son tried to open them but they were too hard. So we took a hammer to it and he thought that was awesome. I think these are great for building hand muscles as well as hand eye coordination when using a hammer, and they are easy and cheap to make!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment